Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  Home Our Website HelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Help - Commuicator | NT-1 and POTS Stuff (Read 7667 times)
Aug 19th, 2004 at 12:26am

ccool   Offline
YaBB Newbies
ISDNAUDIO.COM is fab!
CA 94303

Hello,

I'm in the process of getting AudioTX's Communicator perking ISDN.  My ISDN circuit provider (SBC in the U.S.) is setting things up.  

I have one line that was scheduled to be converted from analog to ISDN.  However, it is a business line used for incoming telephone calls and FAX's.  I want to retain that use of that line.  I understand I can use a Terminal Adapter to accomplish that purpose.

My config is a Marc 2 audio card driven by a Digidesign 002R audio card (analog output and input).

The ISDN card is the Fritz/Eicon.    I've ordered an NT-1 that works with the Fritz/Eicon card that's made by Eicon.  However, it doesn't have interfaces for POTS.

I'm thinking that if I get an Adran 3010, it should solve all of my problems.  I could use my existing line, after it's converted to ISDN, for regular telephone and FAX, when not used as ISDN.

Could someone please advise if the device will mate and work:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=317332

Specs:
Interface Provided

Connector Qty 1

Connector Type RJ-45

Free 1

Gender Female

Interface ISDN BRI U

Qty 1

Type Network

Connector Qty 2

Connector Type RJ-11

Free 1

Gender Female

Interface Phone line

Qty 1

Type Modem

Interface Required

Connector Qty 1

Connector Type 25 pin D-Sub (DB-25)

Gender Male

Interface RS-232

Total Qty 1

Type Serial

Miscellaneous

Color White

Package Type Retail

Rack Mounting Kit Not available

Modem

Comm. Compliant Standards Hayes AT command set, V.110 (I.470)

Comm. Connectivity Technology Wired

Comm. Data Compression Protocol IETF PPP LZS

Comm. Digital Signaling Protocol ISDN - 1(NI-1), ISDN 5ESS, ISDN DMS-100

Comm. Enclosure Type External

Comm. Interface Type Serial RS-232

Comm. ISDN Terminal Adapter Interface ISDN BRI U

Comm. Max Fax Transfer Rate 14.4 Kbps

Comm. Max Transfer Rate 128 Kbps

Comm. Type ISDN terminal adapter

------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks.

Charlie&&650-324-3311
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2004 at 12:15am

ccool   Offline
YaBB Newbies
ISDNAUDIO.COM is fab!
CA 94303

Grin

"God bless the child who's got his own!"

Having received no reply, I managed to discover that the NT-1 network interface has only two (2) S/T ports and that the Adtran Express 3000 or 3010 will not work, as it has but one 2 U port. 

The answer to the question is to purchase the Adtran Express 3110, which has an S/T port..  The 3110 has two POTS ports for phone or fax.  Easier said than done.  But, that's the answer.  Roll Eyes

Now, speaking of the NT-1, I purchased the Eicon Networks NT-1 device.  It cost around $150.  It has two S/T ports.

If you're using the AudioTX Communicator in the United States, the product performs well.  But, keep the following clearly in mind . . .

I know that some of us have become accustomed to putting hypens in after the area code and between the number and the number pre-fix.  Do not do that.  This stuff is pretty techie and not oriented toward the general consumer.

The AMV Friitz/BT Speedway ISDN card has no intelligence built into it, nor does the driver deployed by Windows that must be used in the U.S., to strip out non-numeric characters. 

The result is the SPID's are not sent to the switch and no ISDN circuit is established or possible if hyphens or parens appear in the numbers. 

Please note: when you configure the ISDN card the ISDN numbers and the SPIDS must be entered without any hypnhens or parens. 

That's not the case with AudioTX Communicator.  It has intelligence to strip (ignore) any hyphens between numbers.

Lastly, make sure the correct protocol is specified in the ISDN card.  The switch may be AT & T and designated ESS5 National.  That's hardware.  The actual protocol may be NI-1, which can run on ESS5 National (hardware).  That was the case with SBC's circuit.  The tech who did the install said the protocol was ESS5 -- which it was and is not.

Enjoy.

CC

Charlie&&650-324-3311
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2004 at 11:08am

Edwin van den Oosterkamp   Offline
YaBB Administrator
I love ISDNAudio.COM!

Hello Charlie,

My apologies for not responding sooner - I've been away for a while and when I came back there was a huge pile of the usual office stuff waiting for me...

Thank you for returning here to share your findings with us, especially the bit about SPID's:

Quote:
The AMV Friitz/BT Speedway ISDN card has no intelligence built into it, nor does the driver deployed by Windows that must be used in the U.S., to strip out non-numeric characters. 

The result is the SPID's are not sent to the switch and no ISDN circuit is established or possible if hyphens or parens appear in the numbers. 

Please note: when you configure the ISDN card the ISDN numbers and the SPIDS must be entered without any hypnhens or parens. 

As that was one I had not thought of myself...  Here in Europe we do not use SPID's, which is probably also the reason why the BT/AVM driver does not handle them as clever as it could.

Best regards,

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print